Tuesday, January 1, 2008

home for the holidays

I begin this year in a sleepy haze of coffee induced happiness. A flurry of four days on the hospital floor has made for a welcome return to a quiet and empty house during the holidays. And in this state of Starbucks and cookie overload [if I ever become diabetic during the holidays, I blame Jesus getting born], I find I have much to be thankful for.

In a city often known for its roughness and harrowing crime streak, the city of Philadelphia has warmed me with its show of Brotherly Love during this holiday season. From friendly banter on the hospital floor, hearty pats on the back by interns who I've only met for 4 hours, phone calls from people who I haven't seen or spoken to for months, visits by homeless friends who offer their holiday greetings and come wanting to share a CD that has touched them, random invitations for homecooked dinners to midnight greetings and hugs from my neighbor Miss Chocolate, I find no lack of kindness. The quietness of the house reminds me that this city, even without my housemates, are full of people who remind me of God's presence and constant watch. Although Chicago will always hold its standings as "home" during the holidays, Philadelphia has found its place in my little heart.

A Happy New Year.

1 comment:

Rachel H said...

This is going to sound so annoyingly "awwww" but I can't help it! And this is our beloved Philly! Aren't friends the family we choose or sometimes chosen for us? :)